RIP Moochie
when old dogs have opaque eyes,
can't play fetch,
and start to piss on the rug
you love them more
because you sense their mortality
while steaming the stains
when they are younger
it's okay to be mad at them
when, like children
they come parading home
from adventures abroad
smelling of fish
I remember when I was fifteen
we saved you from a worse fate
you had that dumb spaniel smile
a welcome addition to our home
always underfoot in the kitchen
ready for a hand-out
I found my dad with his head down on the piano tonight.
can't play fetch,
and start to piss on the rug
you love them more
because you sense their mortality
while steaming the stains
when they are younger
it's okay to be mad at them
when, like children
they come parading home
from adventures abroad
smelling of fish
I remember when I was fifteen
we saved you from a worse fate
you had that dumb spaniel smile
a welcome addition to our home
always underfoot in the kitchen
ready for a hand-out
I found my dad with his head down on the piano tonight.

1 Comments:
At 1:00 PM,
Emily said…
:~( -sorry willy
Post a Comment
<< Home